Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am happy you have decided to visit. I will do my best to keep it up. Most of my posts will be bible related and I hope that they are true and encouraging.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Acts 6 - Thrilled for being beaten

This morning I was reading the end of the 5th chapter of Acts. The apostles are called in yet again and are warned not to continue to speak of Jesus. They respond as they have in the previous cases with, " We must obey God rather than man." Of course Peter has to mention, " you killed Jesus" again. This time in verses 33-42, they are brought in front of the council , beaten and then charged not to speak in the name of Jesus. Their response is what got me to thinking, " They left the presence of the council rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name." It reminds me of Luke 6:22-23 , " Blessed are you when men hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and scorn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, leap for joy, for behold your reward is great in Heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets." These apostles respond with joy and with a resolve to not , " cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ." 

So here is my question for myself and for you. What kind of persecution will it take  to get the modern Christian to respond this way? Can it be said that our daily interactions with people are characterized by a determined resolve to teach and preach Jesus daily and " from House to house"? If not, perhaps God ought to allow more persecution in your our lives. Maybe he already is. 

Are we willing to pray that? 




No comments:

Post a Comment